History

 
   
  THE BHS Managing Committee was established in 1942 by a group of eminent educationists and philanthropists and was registered as a non-profit body dedicated to the cause of education Its first concern was to concentrate on programmes essential for educating young boys and girls in Bangalore. Thus, Secondary and Pre-University course which form the basic foundation for employment and career opportunities were given prominence in the beginning.

In 1942, the first step was taken by establishing the Bangalore High School in a rented building at Visveswarapuram, Bangalore. Under the stewardship of its President-Late Rao Bahadur Professor B.Venkateshchar, Retired Director of the Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore, and the dedicated efforts of the Secretary Late Dharmaprakasha L.S. Venkaji Rao, a prominent businessman, the Managing Committee started the Vijaya College in 1945 in the same premises with the present Pre-University courses. During the next ten years, the college moved into its own building in Chamarajept, thanks to the generosity of His Holiness of Sri Sringeri Mutt.

In the following two decades (1955 – 75) the growing demands of cosmopolitan Bangalore ushered in many developments.
  1. Establishment of new institutions, namely
    1. Vijaya Pre University College
    2. Vijaya Evening College
    3. Teacher's College
    4. Vijaya Evening Pre University College
    5. Bangalore High School, jayanagar
  2. Establishment of degree level course in Science, Commerce and Teacher's Training.
The BHS Higher Education Society set itself at work by an object oriented approach, the highlights of which are:
  • to meet the demands of diversified educational needs of the growing society.
  • to foster job-oriented training programes.
  • to create opportunities in education for the average and below average students.
  • to encourage training, research and publications in areas of educational interest.
  • to draw up a ten year plan aimed at developing an institute of Management and Technology.
  • to establish an autonomous institution at graduate and postgraduate levels of education.

As a follow up, the society started the BHS First Grade College in Jayanagar form the Academic year 1989-90 offering Pre-University and Degree Courses in Electronics, Computer Science, Micro Biology, Biotechnology, BCA, Commerceand Arts.

A rural educational project was embarked upon in June 1990 with the starting of a High School and Industrial Training Centre in 1999 at T.Narasipur, Mysore District. The Vijaya Academy For Information Technology was started offering Short term and Long term certificate courses.

A research team with eminent educationsits in teacher training has engaged itself in producing training and research materials especially geared towards teacher training. Its first publication, already released, has been widely acclaimed.

"Workshop and seminars are arranged regularly and hosted by the Society towards updating knowledge of the teaching community and improving teaching methods and syllabus in various subjects in schools and colleges.

As a part of the diversification plan, Bangalore Institute of Legal Studies was established at Jayanagar in 1993 and is now housed in an Independent building in the Basavanagudi Campus. Vijaya Pre Univerisity College , RV road, Basavanagudi Bangalore -4 has been carved out from Vijaya College as per the Government Policy in June 2011. Plans are on hand to seek an autonomous status for BHS First Grade College in line with the stipulated conditions by the UGC. It is hoped that the Bangalore University and the State Government will still strongly support such plans.



 
EXPLORE

About us
Management
Alumni
Photo Gallery
Contact us
QUICK INFO

Admission Procedure
Programmes
Student Life @ BILS
Club & Associations

 

News & Events
Research Wings
Placement

 

CONTACT US

P: 91-80-26933227
E: info@www.bils.ac.in
W: www.bils.ac.in

 

© Bangalore Institute of Legal Studies | All Right Reserved
 
Designed & Maintained by Nitamicrotek