BHS Higher Education Society (BHS HES)
The BHS Higher Education Society (BHS HES) is a 76 year plus temple of learning established in 1942 by a group of eminent educationists and philanthropists. It is registered as a non-profit body dedicated to the cause of education. Its first concern was to concentrate on programmes essential for educating young boys and girls in Bangalore. Thus secondary and Pre-University courses which form basic foundation for employment and career opportunities were given prominence in the beginning.
In 1942, the first step was taken by establishing the Bangalore High School in a rented building at Visveshwarapuram, Bangalore. Under the stewardship of its President — Late Rao Bahadur, Prof. B.Venkateshachar, Retired Director of the Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore, and the dedicated efforts of the Secretary — Late Dharmaprakasha, L.S.Venkaji Rao, a prominent businessman, the Managing Committee, started the Vijaya College in 1945, in the same premises with the present Pre-University courses. In the span of next ten years, the College moved into its own building in Basavanagudi while the High School was shifted to a leased building in Chamarajapet, thanks to the generosity of His Holiness of Sri Sringeri Mutt.
In the following two decades (1955-75), the growing demands of cosmopolitan Bangalore brought in major developments. These activities called for concerted efforts and resources for running them on solid grounds. Hence between 1975 and 1990, the management had to consolidate the infrastructure of the institution with adequate buildings, laboratories, equipment and other facilities. By 1990, the BHS Managing committee took a leap forward in gearing its educational planning and experience in consonance with National Education Policy in an endeavour for economic and social development. As a follow-up, the society started the BHS FIRST GRADE COLLEGE at Jayanagar during the academic year 1989-90 offering Pre-University and Degree courses in Electronics, Computer Science, Micro Biology and Biotechnology, BCA, Commerce and Arts. A rural education project was embarked upon in June 1990 at T Narasipura, Mysore District. The Vijaya Computer Training and Data Processing Centre was started for offering short-term certificate courses. Later, while celebrating the Golden Jubilee of BHS HES, Bangalore Institute of Legal Studies was established at Jayanagar in 1993 and later it was shifted to R.V.Road Campus.
I believe in the value of legal education and in the vital importance of training future generations of lawyers to do all the critically important things that a civil society and thriving economy needs lawyers to do.